The UC Irvine School of Law Pre-Law Outreach Program (“POP”) is sponsored by the Orange County Bar Association Charitable Fund and Kaplan Test Prep, Inc. POP helps undergraduate students from disadvantaged backgrounds understand the demands of law school, prepare for the law school application and admissions process, and be inspired to one day use their legal skills to give back to the community.
Participants attend six (6) Saturday classes during June and July, and at the end of the Program all participants receive a free online LSAT review course, donated by Kaplan Test Prep, Inc. POP classes include speakers, panels, lessons, experiential learning, and mentorship, all focused on inspiring participants and making them competitive law school applicants.
Application due: March 17, 2017 at 5:00 p.m.
In just five years, POP has provided education and inspiration to more than 200 undergraduate students from disadvantaged backgrounds. Feedback from POP participants has been extremely positive. Immediately following the program, participants have reported that they feel prepared to apply to law school. Several months after POP concluded, participants reported that they had improved their GPA’s, enrolled in additional co-curricular activities, and sought out legal internships in order to be more competitive law school applicants. Additionally, POP graduates have volunteered to assist as interpreters with Public Counsel, the Legal Aid Foundation of Los Angeles, and UCI Law’s Pro Bono Program.
There is NO CHARGE for students admitted to the program, which provides:
- A certificate for a free online LSAT Review course provided by Kaplan Test Prep, Inc.
- Detailed information on the law school admissions process
- Detailed information about the costs of law school and available financial aid
- Advice about excelling in law school from law students, faculty, and recent graduates
- Information about careers in law from practicing lawyers in many fields
- Limited scholarships for transportation and/or housing costs
Image Credit: UCI School of Law